Search This Blog

Friday, November 19, 2010

Working on my new Computer

It was finally time to get a new laptop.   My old Dell really was a champ.  I used it hard for more than 5 years with several upgrades to make it last.  However, I got to the point that it really didnt make sense to continue to fix it.   

I had several batteries go out and in replacing them got some wierd error message that amounted to no longer being able to charge the batteries.  So, I was reduced to keeping the computer on AC all the time.   Not impossible to deal with but obviously losing some of the convenience associated with a laptop.  

The hard disk drive had gotten to about 90% capacity which made the computer so slow that it was barely functional.   So I replaced the hard drive (actually had a very nice sized drive installed) and while I was at it I installed the maximum amount of memory that the Dell could use.  That sped the computer back up to near new performance and allowed me another full year of life.

There were odd little error messages that something wasnt working quite right although these were annoying more than real issues but the final blow was last weekend when my laptop screen essentially went out.   Technically, I guess it isnt really dead.  If you look really hard, you can see that the images are there but you seem to need x-ray vision to be able to see it.    While I have been making it through this transition, I borrowed an external monitor and connected it to the laptop and have been working the last several days on essentially two computers and three monitors. 

I got my new laptop on Tuesday and have been working toward full functionality.   I love getting new laptops and I also hate getting new laptops.   I love the new computer, the speed, the seemingly endless amounts of memory.  I hate the difficulties in getting files transfered, set ups to get back on networks, trying to find old software to uninstall and reinstall and getting to full functionality.   

Yesterday, I was able to link back to the network at work and get my e-mail functional on my new computer.   That was a big step.   Until that happened, I actually had to leave the office and go to Starbucks to get internet (my office internet didnt recognize me yet and would not let me on) in order to connect by web to my e-mail  (which I could not access in my office).   

Today, I think I will be able to get most of the data files transferred.   Right now I would say I am near 75% functionality.  By the end of the day, I hope to be at 90% functionality.   100% perhaps will come sometime next week.   

In spite of this, I have managed to squeeze in a little real estate.   It looks as though we are finishing negotiations on a couple of leases which is not bad for mid November.  

Have a great day all.  

David

David W. McCoy
Associate Broker
Commonwealth Commercial Real Estate
10444 Bluegrass Parkway
Louisville, KY  40299

No comments:

Post a Comment