Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Google Wars

You may be surprised to know that David McCoy is a fairly common name.    That never occurred to me until I went to college and found myself living in the same dorm and almost directly underneath a David Mark McCoy.   Luckily, he went by Mark although we would sometime get each others mail.

If that didn't make an impression, when I went to University of Texas at Austin for my MBA, my first wife Margaret and I were surprised to find that the Law School had a David McCoy married to another Margaret McCoy. 

This became an issue again a few years back when I started to use Social Media and for the first time tried to become aware of my presence on the internet.    I found that Facebook and LinkedIN both had dozens if not hundreds of David McCoy.   Likewise, there are several David W. McCoys.   Accordingly, in order to separate myself so that my friends and clients I chose David W. McCoy for LinkedIN and David Wade McCoy for facebook.   

The goal of this is to be aware of what is on the internet about me AND to do what I can to make myself findable if someone is looking for me on-line.   There are scores of things people advise to improve these statuses.   I use Twitter, FB, LinkedIN and I blog, all of which are supposed to help my on-line presence.   The other thing I do is from time to time, I google myself to see what happens.

After a couple of years, I have discovered that I still do not rank on a search of David McCoy and I probably never will.   There are just way too many David McCoys.    I do very well with a search of David Wade McCoy, or David W McCoy, Louisville, or David W McCoy, MBA.  And I absolutely rule if the google phrase is David W McCoy, Realtor - having nearly the entire page (nearly 8 entries).  But of course, those are very specialized searches that are probably unlikely for Average Joe to use.  The goal has therefore become to do well with the search of David W McCoy.  

With a google search of David W McCoy, I have managed to be on the first page,  SCORE.  In fact, I have shown up at many as 5 times on the first page and even landed in first place on one or two occassion.   But also in the process I have discovered my two primary nemeses - David W. McCoy, managing vice president of Gartner Fellowship Emeritus; and David W. McCoy, CPP, MBA.   These gentlemen are always vying with me for king of the google search and they both routinely score above me.

I have no idea if these gentlemen are aware of me at all but I am keenly aware of them.   While they do not know it, I am actively trying to displace them for those top positions.   BUT until I do, please don't stop reading after the first couple of entries.    If you google David W McCoy, more than likely I will show up on the first page but maybe not until the third or fourth entry. (smile)

Have a great day, all.  

By the way, if you searching for information on commercial real estate, you might want to look me up.   I am a licensed commercial real estate broker in Kentucky and Indiana and I work with office, industrial, retail, investment and land properties.   I work Buyers and Sellers, Landlords and Tenants.  I would love to help.    

David

David W. McCoy
Associate Broker
Commonwealth Commercial Real Estate
10444 Bluegrass Pkwy
Louisville, KY  40299

No comments:

Post a Comment