Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Why Occupy Wall Street Matters

There are those, especially from conservative circles, that are quick to dismiss the Occupy Wall Street movement.  On the other hand, it would appear that the more liberal circles are trying to claim it for their own.   I am not sure that either of these approaches is wise.

After nearly 2 months, it is clear that the OWS is not simply a flash in the pan.  It is also clear that it has struck a chord and that there are a lot of people wanting to support it.  What is unclear is what OWS is really for or against.   There are those trying to co-opt the movement by claiming  that it supports their agenda but as far as anyone can tell, there is no real leadership and no clearly defined shared set of goals.

It is also clear that OWS is different from the movement which have occurred in other parts of the world.   In general, ignoring Oakland, the protests have been peaceful.  As far as I can tell, no one expects the OWS group to become violent.   It seems to me to be very different from the Arab Spring,

What is clear, is that there are a lot of people across the country who are unhappy, AND this includes more than just the OWS protesters.   I think that is why OWS has not died.  OWS is a tangible symbol of a country that is weary of difficult times.   For some that may be years of high unemployment, which resulted in someone in their family being laid off, perhaps multiple times.  For some, that may be years of war, where family members have been deployed or perhaps injured or killed.  For some, it may be the injustice of billions of dollars of tax bail outs which kept millionaires employed while some families faced foreclosure on their homes.  

Different parties may have different ideas as to the best way to resolve these hard times for our country but I believe that whoever leads us out of this morass will have to satisfy the country at large that they hear their concerns and understand their fears and pain in order to be successful.

Anyway, that is just my opinion.  You may of course feel free to disagree and you are free to post comments expressing your point of view.  What you are not free to do however, is to post inappropriate or offensive comments.  Should I see any such comments, I reserve my right to delete them.

Thanks, everyone. Have a great day and be sure to get out to vote today!

By the way, if you would like an opinion on Commercial Real Estate, I would love to help you.  I work with Landlords, Tenants, Buyers and Sellers.  I handle Office, Industrial, Land, Investment and Retail properties.  I am licensed in Kentucky and Indiana and I specialize in Commercial Real Estate.

ALSO, I am sure that my managing broker would appreciate me stating that the opinions presented here are mine alone and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Commonwealth Commercial Real Estate, its brokers, agents or employees (other than me, of course).  

David

David W. McCoy
Associate Broker
Commonwealth Commercial Real Estate
10444 Bluegrass Pkwy
Louisville, KY  40299

No comments:

Post a Comment