Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Pursuit of Happiness

It seems that in American society, we are consumed with the pursuit of happiness, a curiously constitutionally guaranteed right. How we pursue happiness, is up to us. Unfortunately, there is no clear plan to attain it and no guarantee we will find it.

I know people who in that pursuit, have turned to feng shui, acupuncture, acupressure, tuning forks, crystals, rocks and magnets. They buy new clothes, go on trips, send their kids to expensive schools that they cannot afford. If only they could build a new kitchen, if only they could have new carpet, if only they could buy new furniture, if only they could redecorate, if they only had a better job, if only their spouse made more money, if only they could start a multilevel marketing business, if only they could live on the beach...

The list goes on and on.

We are inundated with images of perfect people supposedly living perfect lives in absolute bliss.

So, why is that that some of the happiest people I know, come from modest means? Some have never even left their state, let alone traveled the world.

The truth is that happiness isn't something you will find outside of yourself. I won't claim that people won't feel a temporary high when they get a shiny new toy, but that feeling will fade. There will always be a near infinite number of things you do not have, no matter how much money you make. If you always focus on what you don't have, you will always feel shorted.

Happiness is something only you can find for yourself and in yourself. It's more about being grateful what you do have than attaining what you do not have.

Someone else might be able to make you miserable, but they cannot make you happy. That is up to you.

Stepping off my soapbox AND hoping that you have a happy day.

BTW - If you would like to TRY to find happiness through real estate, I am willing to give you a hand. (smile)  I am licensed in KY and IN and specialize in Commercial Real Estate.  I work with Buyers, Sellers, Landlords, Tenants and Investors and handle Office, Industrial, Land, Investment and Retail Properties.

ALSO, I am sure that my Primary Broker would appreciate me clarifying that the views presented here are my own and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Commonwealth Commercial Real Estate or any of its brokers, agents or employees (other than me, of course)  You are of course welcome to disagree and present your own opinion if you would like.  HOWEVER, you are not welcome to make inappropriate comments and I reserve the right to delete anything that I beleive would be offensive.

David

David W. McCoy
Associate Broker
Commonwealth Commercial Real Estate
10444 Bluegrass Pkwy
Louisville, KY  40299

No comments:

Post a Comment