Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Louisville 2011 Industrial Review

I'm continuing my review of Louisville Commercial Real Estate for 2011. Today, I am looking at the Industrial Market. Here is what I found -

The Numbers -

According to KCREA (Kentucky Commercial Real Estate Alliance), the Louisville metro area had 127 Leases for approximately 1,127,191 SF of Industrial space. The median lease space was 3924 SF while the average lease was for 41,748 SF. The largest Industrial Lease reported for 2011 was 162,000 SF while the smallest lease reported was 475 SF.

Regarding Industrial Sales, KCREA reported 38 Industrial Buildings sold in 2011 consisting of 1,635,993 SF selling for $37,115,500. The median building size was 24,960 SF while the median transaction size was $487,000. The average selling price per square foot was $22.96 and the average building size was 42,535. (note: if you are checking my math, to get this figure, I had to make some adjustments because some transactions did not disclose the square footage of the property or had invalid numbers entered.)

The largest Industrial sales transaction was a 248,400 SF Building in Louisville which sold for $7,760,000.   The smallest unit sold was a 2,400 SF unit which sold for $130,000.

What this says to me -

At 127 leases and 38 sales for the year, we are seeing about 2.4 leases and 0.73 sales per week.    Half of the leases are for less than 3,924 SF.  When the average space leased exceeds the median by such a large margin, this screams that there are very few large transactions in the market place.  The vast majority of the transactions are very small spaces.   While information on the term of the leases is not provided in the KCREA stats, conversation with other brokers leads me to believe that we are continuing to have shorter term leases. 

For Industrial Sales, the activity remains somewhat light. Things being sold are tending to be smaller properties at lower price points. Like the leasing, it is interesting to note that the top 5 sales transactions amounted to more than half of the total dollar volume of the reported sales.  

Recommendations -

Louisville has had a fair amount of good economic news in 2011, with expansions planned at Ford and GE, among others. As these lines begin to come on-line and as suppliers and other companies also begin to expand, it looks as though things in Louisville will continue to improve.

My recommendations remain the same. Like the Office, I would say that things are looking better - number of calls and showing are up and unemployment is improving.  Also, while I cannot quantify this, I am beginning to see a willingness of companies to consider longer terms in their leasing.  

We continue to have a lot of inventory and downward pressure on pricing. Successful Landlords and Sellers will keep their properties in top condition and price them competitively.

Notes, Disclaimers and Such -

BTW - If you would like me to evaluate your particular property, give me a call. Also if you need any help on any real estate needs, I would love to help. I am licensed in Kentucky and Indiana and specialize in Commercial Real Estate. I work with Buyers, Sellers, Landlords, Tenants and Investors. I handle Office, Industrial, Land, Retail and Investment properties. Heck, I can even set you up if you need help with residential property.

ALSO - I am sure that my broker would appreciate me clarifying that the views here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Commonwealth Commercial Real Estate, its brokers, agents or employees (other than me, of course) If you would like to make a comment or offer another opinion, you may feel free to do so in the comments sections. What you should not feel free to do though is make comments which are inappropriate or offensive. Should I see any such comments, I will delete them.

Finally - The information gathered for this analysis comes from KCREA (Kentucky Commercial Real Estate Alliance). This information reflects the activity of the members and participants of KCREA and therefore should not be considered a complete census of commercial activity. It is also dependent on the individual brokers to enter and maintain their information. As such it is subject to some error. Never-the-less, it presents a picture of the commercial real estate activity and I believe it is useful for review and analysis.

Let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of some help. Thanks for reading. Hope you have a good day.

David

David W. McCoy
Associate Broker
Commonwealth Commercial Real Estate
10444 Bluegrass Pkwy
Louisville, KY 40299

ofc: (502) 379-6005
cel: (502) 905-5274
e-mail: DMcCoy@ccre.biz

No comments:

Post a Comment